Friday 14 February 2014

M&S Blue Harbour? F**k right off!

Traditionally clothing for middle-aged men wasn’t a problem, they all looked like their dads and they all looked like each other. Nowadays things are different, I just don’t know what to wear. You don’t want to look like your dad, and the only thing you want less than that is to look like your son.

I know an architect who’s about 52 yet he dresses like an 18 year old. The latest trainers (always Nike or Adidas); the latest style of pants or designer jeans. The latest labels in T-shirts and sweatshirts. He even wore those strange Puffa jackets when they were in fashion. His clothes have zips and Velcro in all sorts of unexpected places. His trousers have all sorts of pockets in them, some of them unusable. He has bomber jackets and leather jackets and a vast collection of trainers. Have you ever heard anything so daft? Now because he’s an architect he gets away with it, this eccentricity has become his trademark and probably suits his character. I do think this behaviour is halfway to certifiable though. Personally I’d rather join the Hare Krishna movement and shuffle down Market Street in Manchester chanting and ringing finger tambourines than go out in the street dressed like he does. What could possibly be more ridiculous than a man in his 50’s pretending to be a teenager?

I might not be in my 50’s yet, but I don’t want to dress younger than I am. On the other hand, I don’t want to dress like my dad. So what should I do? Should I wear what our dads wore, or the alternative, which seems to involve paying ridiculous sums of money for more comfortable clothes that have all those designer labels on the outside? At one time, labels were things that went on the inside and were a bleeding nuisance if they popped out. Why should I be a walking billboard for a multinational clothes business? I also object to the ludicrous difference in price of this reasonably okay plain black sweatshirt and this reasonably okay plain black sweatshirt with ‘Timberland’ written on it. So most of the time I just won’t go there, and if I have, it’s usually under duress, or it’s been a gift.

Marks & Spencer
So what do I end up with? I don’t particularly want to wear designer labels, and I don’t want to wear old git stuff. So I end up with one of those sub-designer, mass-produced but not quite total rubbish things like ‘Blue Harbour’ from Marks & Spencers. Now what could possibly be sadder than that?

Shopping in M&S feels like a sure sign that it’s all over. I find myself browsing the rails and the racks, desperately trying to find something I don’t actually hate. I glance up and all around me are a load of totally boring bastards, who look as though they have had their spirits ripped out of them with their barbeque tongs, almost always out shopping with their wives. He’s looking bored, depressed, repressed and generally hopeless, while she’s rifling through a load of stripy rugby shirts to try to find one that will make him look even more fat-headed than he does now. And then it all gets worse because I think, ‘Oh, my God, that’s how I look!’ and at this moment I hot-foot it out of the shop as fast as my fat little legs will take me.

So Where To Go?
I can just about stand to go into GAP or NEXT, but if I suddenly find myself surrounded by teenagers, I feel a cold sweat creeping over me and can’t get out fast enough. Top Shop? – Wouldn’t even dream of going in. Burtons? - Do they still exist? Anyway, too boring. I find the answer is to go into one of those big department stores like Debenhams where they have all the different ranges, so if I accidently stray into something too young for me; I can beat a hasty retreat without too much indignity. In Debenhams you can toy with the idea of buying something by Jasper Conran or Rocha John Rocha, without making the commitment of going into a dedicated store and looking daft when you see the prices they charge in them places.

Variations on a Theme
One little problem that I have is that I only tend to wear black, blue or grey, so I’ve got literally dozens of tiny variations on this theme. But then, just now and again, I find myself somewhere wondering if I should be daring and ring the changes with say a rugby shirt in maroon with horizontal black stripes. As I’m about to reconcile myself with what, for me, is the equivalent of coming out as gay, I discover that it’s got the number ‘12’ written on the back. I hastily return it to the shelf as though I’ve just been given an electric shock. The idea of walking around with a number on my back, or on my left tit as though I was some kind of pensioned off sportsman seems so utterly ridiculous to me that, now, I can hardly breathe when I think about it.

Going off subject a little, I do think it’s hilarious that the only people wearing tracksuits in the street are usually around 30 stone! They probably order Diet Coke with their large Big Mac meal too. What’s going on in their heads? Are we supposed to think they are Olympic medal winners in pie-eating, or maybe off-duty sumo wrestlers?

Anyway back to the subject in hand. Eventually I find myself back in M&S, where I finally settle for yet another black sweatshirt, with the slight concession that this one has a different coloured collar. It may also have that little tag on one side with the red flag or whatever it is on it, but at least I know I can cut that off when I get home. Blue Harbour? Fuck right off!

No comments:

Post a Comment