Thursday 5 December 2013

Happy Christmas My Arse - Why I Hate Christmas

Is it just me? I seem to hate every single detail related to Christmas, from the songs to the meals, the insincere cards, meeting people whose existence you usually forget the rest of the year. The tacky decorations and flashing lights on houses people feel obliged to make me ‘enjoy’. The whole walking around town thing with so many people stepping over your feet and belting you with their heavy bags and parcels do not help my mindset either.

The whole ‘experience’ starts way too early. These days, shortly after they get done with Halloween and Bonfire Night, the Christmas crap starts showing up in the shops, well over two months before the event. Before the end of November people are out putting up their tacky house decorations. December and consequently Christmas technically starts around November 10th in the UK today, whatever happened to the twelve days of Christmas ?

So what really gets me going about the ‘festive’ period ? Well, in no particular order (and certainly not limited to) this lot :-

Tacky House Decorations
Why do people have to decorate their houses to such an extreme? Christmas decorations so bright they appear radioactive. You know the kind I mean.  The aggressive sort of decorations, those where huge representations of Santa and the like seem to colonise a public area? The ones that are filled with air but always deflate into sad, creepy versions of their former selves and the plastic ones that look like backdrops from cheap horror films. Then there’s artificial spray snow, especially drifted into the corners of windows, it just looks so tacky!

As for the incessant, flashing lights, well just because they have that setting doesn’t mean you have to use it. You go for a walk near me and almost every other window has a blue light display or flashing "icicles" hanging from the gutter. None of the twinkling is coordinated with the house nearby, it all just gives me a headache, some flash so fast that I feel dizzy and almost epileptic.

The multi-coloured lights are the worse, they look cheap and tacky, white lights can look frosty and magical but when used to decorate houses are well over the top.  A couple of years ago the odd blue light display here and there looked unusual and engaging, but that bandwagon has rolled on by and everyone has jumped on it. Don’t forget either, the householder who has garishly festooned his house in Santas and flashing lights, can’t actually see them himself, it’s the rest of us that have to endure them, especially if you live opposite them !!!  


Christmas Cards
Exchanging Christmas cards is becoming more and more a thing of the past. Nothing says "I don't really give a toss about you" than a Christmas card that comes out of a box of twenty identical Christmas cards. Far worse is the Christmas email card which essentially says, "Hi, I can't be bothered to write each of you a personal card, so here's an identical computer generated card to all of you” Also on the list of annoyances, are those cutesy family Christmas cards with the whole family posing on the front; So if anyone e-mails me a snowball this year, I will track them down and do interesting things to them with a fork.

Tinsel
F**king tinsel !!! Don’t get me started on bloody tinsel. Actually do, because this is the worst thing about Christmas. It sticks on everything: your clothes, the carpet, the kids, the hoover, everything! Just like glitter it never goes away and one day in July you're lying in bed thinking, "What is that strange thing under my pillow" and it's a damn strand of tinsel! Aargh. It's not even pretty or worth the effort or hassle. Ban tinsel forever I say.

Christmas Shopping
Don’t you just hate people who have finished their shopping in October and are smug about it. There’s organised and there’s bleeding ridiculous. Shopping anywhere that’s not online usually Involves mixing with the general public who are all grumpy and pissed off in queues. Then there’s the enthusiastic shop assistants who force me to say “no thanks, I’m just looking” whilst crap Christmas songs play in the background. No joy to be found. Ever !!

The insanity generally seems to begin on the 1st of November, when anyone with two brain cells to rub together will stay the hell away from anything resembling a retail store. Somehow, though, the idiots come out in force every year. And there's no let-up until at least the second week of January, because even after Christmas, people are either returning their shitty gifts or buying even more crap in the sales. And it's not as if the Christmas shopping season begins in November: you start seeing Christmas commercials and store decorations as early as September.

The only thing worse than the moron who waits until the 24th of December to do all his or her Christmas shopping is the smug bitch who has all her shopping done by July. That's not misogynistic either, it's always women who shop this far in advance. (Name three guys who have their shopping done before December.) Now, so as not to irk those (women) who conscientiously buy their Christmas gifts a little at a time during the year: I am speaking here of the ones who can't resist telling you, "Oh, I got all my shopping done before July." In other words: It's fine by me if they do it; I just don't want to hear it all the time !!

Finally there’s the utter mad food panic of Christmas Eve. You see it in people’s eyes in the supermarkets. I mean please, they’re shut for 1 or 2 days. You don’t need to panic buy bread and milk or anything else for that matter!

Christmas Songs
Tis the season for crappy Christmas songs. This usually begins around mid-November, leaking out of every chain store, restaurant, pit of despair imaginable, management types having forced the poor employees to play it in order to get people to spend, spend, spend! Frankly, it makes me want to run as far away from that shop as possible. Get into December and there’s no escape as all the radio stations are playing this dross.

Worse track of all for me is Paul McCartney’s Wonderful Christmas Time. I'm not sure that I can express in words how awful this song is. From the inane lyrics to the incredibly annoying synthesizer lines, there is just nothing good about this song. On it's release it was an obvious sign of the precipitous decline of McCartney's talent, a precursor to "Say, Say, Say," (which, frankly sounds like f**king Radiohead compared to this,). And yet, it manages to get into my head and stay there for days on end, pushing out any and all other thoughts until I feel like some robot who's only objective is to kill Paul McCartney.

Christmas Presents
Presents?: What kind of presents are these anyway? Presents you need? Or presents you want? Presents your kids are whining about? Basically it’s more crap. These days it’s a season designed for retailers who makes people feel the need to buy, buy, buy. Long after Christmas is over, your finances will still be in a state of emptiness.

You are giving presents just to give presents because that’s what people do at Christmas; give presents. Who needs presents? Who needs anything really? Right. No one !!

Anyone with kids will be familiar with the statement “let me know what to get the kids for Christmas” so basically I get to do everyone else’s Christmas shopping before my own. Brilliant!  It’s not that we’re not grateful of course!

The whole giving-and-getting thing these days seems to boil down to you feeling bad if the gift you gave them is cheaper than the gift they gave you; you also feel bad if it's the reverse. "Wow, a DVD player! Uh ... thanks ... I got you a bag of crisps." You calculate just how much to spend on each person, which means you're basically putting a price on your love. How much is Mum worth? £50? £100? How about your brother? Then there’s partners, one great reason to stay away from romance is the agonizing over what to get your partner that first Christmas. And what to get their parents, siblings etc. Of course he or she (usually she) will say, "You don't have to get me anything. Just as long as we can spend Christmas together." Beware! This, let me tell you, is utter bulls**t.

Gift Cards
Gift Cards truly are the lazy guys present. I know, I’ve bought them myself before now. They basically say, you know what store I want to spend money at but you are too lazy and uncreative to look around that store for 30 minutes and try to figure out something I'd like? You're already in the damn store! How hard is it to pick out something? Sure, you can't wrap a massage or 200 skinny lattes from Starbucks, but at least buy me a damn mug to put the gift card in. There again, it's Christmas which today is simply all about stuff!

Christmas Parties
Christmas parties, especially work-related ones are a pain. Especially when you’re tee-total. No allowance whatsoever is made for people who don’t drink. My Christmas party this year starts at 1pm in Wetherspoons in Manchester and runs till the last person drops, no formal meal or anything just everyone getting arse-holed.

Being tee-total (see a previous blog for my reasons) I can’t think of a worse way to spend 12 hours with my colleagues. I’d rather just go home and be alone than put myself in the direct line of temptation of something I’ve successfully avoided for the last two years. After all you wouldn’t insist a vegetarian attended a Christmas do at a steak restaurant or Nandos would you ?

Another work related Christmas annoyance is that of the secret santa. It’s pointless. Christmas is such an expensive and busy time, I don’t have the headspace for another gift and why spend a few extra pounds if you don’t need to?  I hope there is a special place in hell for the creator of this tradition. Luckily, we’re not doing it this Christmas.

Christmas Jumpers
When I was in Sainsbury’s at lunch I had a look for a plain black round neck jumper for work. Did I find one ? No ! I did find plenty of festive knitwear that looks like Christmas threw up on it. Why do Christmas jumpers even exist? No one looks good in them?  From those nasty picture knit sweaters to people who go around with Santa hats on, or just lots of red and green. Unless you’re a child I say stop. You just look stupid.
So there we have it, a meander through my Christmas mind

There’s a quote from the film The Grinch that to me, always comes to mind: 
“Maybe Christmas”, he thought “doesn’t come from a store. Maybe Christmas,,,perhaps,,,means a little bit more” 
Kinda sums it up doesn’t it ?

Roll on January I say.

Bah Humbug!
Ho Ho Ho!

Shoot me!

No comments:

Post a Comment